Friday, March 14, 2008

Jason does Disney World....

We're baaaaaaaccccckkk!!! Did you miss us?

The World Tour continues and we're back from Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida, with a spring in our step and a song in our heart, but I'm not sure our body clocks quite know what time it is with all the time zone changes and jet-lag.
Safari Mickey Mouse at Disney's Animal Kingdom
Mickey says a special "Hi" to Lauren and Evan and I'm afraid for all the grown ups reading this it's going to be a bit of a Disney-tastic installment!!

So we flew to Orlando on Monday, me in 'cattle-class' and Charlie in First.....yes you are hearing that correctly, but thems the perks of the job (in his defence he did offer me his seat on the way back - he made me write that too!!). Plus I am grateful I got a semi-freebie holiday out of it!

I lucked out both ways as even though the flights were packed I had a spare seat next to me each time - four or five hours being the hotdog in a jumbo sized American bun, not my idea of a fun flight!!

We stayed at the Boardwalk Resort Hotel and on our first night were taken to the dinner at the California Grill in the Contemporary Resort Hotel. We ended up dining in the more secluded wine tasting room and had a great meal - the best sushi I think I've ever had (apparently prepared by one of the Top 3 sushi chefs in the US), plus we were able to see the 10pm Magic Kingdom firework extravaganza from the observation deck in between courses - not a bad way to start our stay!
Twilight Zone Tower of Terror
On Tuesday I was left to get up to mischief on my own so I headed straight for the Hollywood Studios resort and took on the Rock 'n' Roller Coaster (starring Aerosmith - rock on!!) and then tried out the Tower of Terror...not bad!! I even came back to ride them both again on Thursday morning (although the park was much busier with Spring Break and the weekend looming on the horizon).

It's not so much fun being at Disney on your own (or any theme park for that matter), but I managed to try out a few more rides for nostalgia's sake - Star Wars: Star Tours and the Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular.
Riding Expedition Everest
Later that day I headed over to the Magic Kingdom to try out Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and Splash Mountain (so basically any ride like a roller-coaster), all the time trying to avoid little people and lots of large Americans in their mobility scooters (no lie they ride around in these OAP scooters - here's a clue....WALK, maybe you wouldn't be so muhoosive!)
Wet T-shirt Jason
On Wednesday I dragged Charlie to Disney's Animal Kingdom for essential on-the-job research! As you can see he braved Expedition Everest (did I not tell you it was a roller-coaster?!), Dinosaur, Primeval Whirl, the Kilimanjaro Safari and the Kali River Rapids where we literally got soaked to our skin.
Drowned rat Charlie
That's not so great when it's only your second ride of the day - lucky the sun was shining, otherwise we may not have been in such good humour!

One thing I have to say is that with all those kids there and the sheer variety of families (believe me we saw it all), I didn't see one kid have a tantrum - maybe they were having too good a time or being kept quiet by having anything they wanted bought for them, but no whingers!!
Topiary Fantasia Mickey Mouse
Anyway, that's it for now. More magical musings later.....

1 comment:

Rosie said...

Aw I want to see Nemo the musical now, you must be so exhausted all this mixing with the stars - no Eeyore? .............. are you sure Charlie hasn't slipped you a open cheque all this plugging :) *tries to calculate*
((media space x price per column inch) x opportunities to see)/relevance factor = value)

Related Posts with Thumbnails