Friday, April 25, 2008

Life is like a box of chocolates...

Almost empty Godiva chocolate boxWhat do you mean Forrest, empty inside apart from the yucky coffee flavoured ones?? If in fact life is like a box of chocolates, I would hope it's like the yummy chocs and truffles in this Godiva box that Charlie treated me too.

For some reason he's under the misconception that being stuck at home all day on my own is some kind of hardship. Obviously I'm not in a rush to set him straight on this matter quite yet, but it was very sweet nonetheless.

So today, aside from munching on some chocs (by the way we have been sharing them the last few nights), I've been out driving again. I think I'm getting the hang of it now, but famous last words and all that.

You know, writing a blog is like having tourette's at times - one minute you're thinking something and the next it's out there on the world wide web for all to see. Story of my life really!

Aside from the obvious verbal diarrhea you get writing a blog, there are many positive aspects to it as well.
It's fun, it's mentally stimulating (I hardly have time to watch any TV), it keeps my finger in the online pie, it's like a diary in that it allows you to share your feelings, it allows you keep friends and family up to date with your adventures and I'm sure in the future it will be amazing to look back and see what I've created and have a good laugh.

There are some things you do have to be careful of though. Exactly how much do you share? If everyone can see and read what you're thinking, do you stop being honest or massage the truth? Is it safe? In these days of the 'look at me generation' it's a fine balance between egotistical grandstanding and feeling you have something to contribute.

The lovely grounds of our new West Hollywood padOne of the greatest challenges to us when I was working in magazine publishing (not so long ago) was the advent of self-publishing and the phenomenon of blogging, YouTube and the like.

As a society we've gone from big media owners pushing content out to the masses to individuals and communities creating free content, interacting and having a go themselves. I think it's a very exciting time and so am happy to be jumping on this bandwagon, even if I'm not one of the pioneers (just need to make some money from it now!).


Anyway, you may be wondering why I'm not out running today. Well yesterday when I told you I'd raced over to the cinema in Burbank (which turned out to be closed), I did say my feet were sore afterwards. Imagine my surprise when upon closer inspection I noticed I had a humongous blister on the heel of my left foot just waiting to burst. So no running until that's gone down methinks.

Last night we also had the opportunity to meet some of our new neighbours over a glass of wine at the West Hollywood complex we'll be living at soon. It was really nice and we were made to feel welcome. Our fears about moving in to 'Shady Pines' (or Palms) and befriending the cast of the Golden Girls were laid to rest, but we have now confirmed that over 40% of West Hollywood is made up of gay men. So we'll be in good company!!

The only reason we thought it might have an older clientele was that it's so lovely, with manicured, well kept grounds, and it's been so quiet whenever we've been there (but let's wait and see what it's like 24/7).

So it's Friday and tonight we're off to the O-Bar on Santa Monica Blvd in WEHO for a bite to eat, but we don't want a late one as we've got lots of furniture shopping to do this weekend. Wish us luck...View of the Hollywood Hills from our new condo terrace

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails