Thursday, May 29, 2008

I'm out of bed and dressed, what more do you want?

You know sometimes when you can't help but smile? I saw this image on the side of a shop on Melrose Avenue and couldn't resist snapping away.
I'm out of bed and dressed, what more do you want?It's amazing what you see on your travels in the City of Angels. Today was comic day (delayed by one day because of the Bank Holiday), so it was my usual walk of shame along Melrose to pick them up. Soon I will be like every other Los Angelino (is that how you say it?) and will drive everywhere!

Apparently my new car has been delivered to Charlie's office. It's a Honda SUV or some such. I think it's a bluey-grey colour, it was hard to tell on the website, but it'll be my own little tank to navigate the streets of L.A. Check back soon as I'll no doubt have some pictures for you!

In preparation for me taking to the roads I had a two hour driving lesson today. It was meant as a refresher after not driving for over three weeks, but I didn't really enjoy it that much. I think that was mainly due to the driving instructor and his car more than anything else. He was Russian and had apparently been in L.A. for 14 years, but I still found it hard to understand what he was saying, plus in addition to the communication barrier, his car was a Toyota Camry, which was even older than the Mustang I learned in. The brake has a weird springy quality to it, which can't be good can it?
Driving the LA streets
West Hollywood and the surrounding area is much busier and more frantic to drive around than Burbank or Glendale, which I expected, but I think it'll be a long time before I'm racing around the local streets like an expert. I'm sure it'll be fine though, especially when I have my dog beside me and we're driving round exploring everywhere together.

It was harder choosing a driving instructor to use this time without personal recommendations from Charlie's work colleagues and you soon learn that the internet can be a bit hit or miss. Anyway, $80 and two hours later and my pain was over.

As a reward I decided to enjoy the sunshine today and top up my tan on our roof terrace. But you can't have pleasure without pain, so I did also venture to the gym afterwards to work off the wine and chocolate Charlie forced me to have last night and to make amends for the many, many times we've eaten out (as some people have commented!) since we've been on these shores.

I'm looking forward to driving in my own car and living to tell the tale...

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails