Saturday, July 26, 2008

Dog-Blog: A different kind of puppy training - weight lifting for dogs...

It's another of those classic moments, when animals do the cutest things. It's puppy training, but not as you know it...

Puppy training with weights
Totally unprompted whilst we had some dumbbells lying on the floor, Cooper picked up one of the 5lb dumbbells and started carrying it around.  I was worried he'd strain himself, but he seems quite comfortable lifting it in his jaws.  Methinks he's going to be a strong dog.

Luckily he's content to just lick the heavier metal weights.
A different kind of puppy training
He's obviously been inspired by my one-to-one personal training.  I had my third session on Friday and it's going well.  

By going well, I mean I ache, so it must be doing some good, right? 
Dumbbell Cooper
Financially I won't be able to do this three times a week for too much longer, but it's great to get that expert motivation from someone who knows what they are talking about, as I've never been that great in the gym.
Weight training Cooper
It'll be interesting when, or even if, I start to see any difference.  In the past a hectic work life and my lack of self control (chocolate, ice-cream and alcohol being my main vices) have always scuppered me getting fit before I really got started (did I mention that my love for pizza, indian takeaways and cheese also didn't help), so now that I have the freedom to focus on it, let's see if I actually can make a noticeable difference.
He's going to be a strong dog
Obviously once Cooper is old enough to go out, he's going to be a big part of my fitness routine with multiple daily walks to keep us both in shape.  With the amenable Californian climate maybe trips to the beach and an outdoor lifestyle will help keep me motivated.

Only time will tell...

1 comment:

The Hunky Gardener said...

Looks like he is going to be one buff dog..lol!

Related Posts with Thumbnails