Tuesday, August 26, 2008

House Bunny is fluffy fun and just a bit dumb...

I loved the movie Legally Blonde and after a bit of a drought of films I've wanted to see the last few weeks I thought I'd pop along and take a look at the fluffy bit of fun that is The House Bunny.
The House Bunny movie billboard at The Grove
So if you liked Reese Witherspoon's Legally Blonde, then you'll love this film, but don't expect anything original about it, absolutely nothing.  But as it's such a sweet and simple film and has left me in a happy mood, I'm willing to forgive that this film is fundamentally the same story with just a few character, location and scenario changes, but ultimately the blonde bimbo saves the day and learns a valuable lesson along the way.

Out goes the popular sorority girl turned spunky legal student and in comes Playboy Mansion Bunny turned sorority house mother.  Anna Faris plays the ditzy Playboy Bunny kicked out of Hefner's mansion following her 27th birthday and the star of the Scary Movie parodies is suitably endearing as the nice but dumb (but she really has a brain too!), Shelly.
The House Bunny movie poster
I don't want to go in to detail about the rest of the film, suffice to say that if I did, I would end up being too critical about just how simple and how text book a dumb blonde comedy movie it is.  

Don't even get me started on how the sorority girls of Zeta Alpha Zeta with their perfectly toned stomachs and gravity defying breasts are not at all like real-life misfits and so their ugly duckling to swan transformation is not that much of a stretch of the imagination.

There's no real surprises, but if you just give yourself over to the movie and let yourself enjoy it you won't mind.  With that in mind I give House Bunny 3-stars ***.

Funnily enough, the thing that made me smile the most about the film though was the fantastic trailer of Marley & Me I saw beforehand.  This movie adaptation of John Grogan's best-selling book is out in cinemas on Christmas Day in the U.S. and it reminded me so much of Cooper.

I've never read the book, but after seeing this cute trailer of Marley & Me and reading the book's synopsis I'm buying it on Amazon now - I'll let you know what it's like!

Buy the book in the U.S.A: Marley: A Dog Like No Other

5 comments:

stria4 said...

OMG - that looks EXACTLY like Cooper! Just imagine he's chasing after Ginger and it could have been him!

Jason in Hollywood said...

As you know Cooper does come from a family of TV dogs (and has a celebrity background), so it wouldn't surprise me if some of the puppies/dogs in the movie are his brothers/sisters!

__ Clint __ said...

save the stay?

Jason in Hollywood said...

aha, obviously having a blonde moment - thanks for the typo correction!

Jason T. said...

I saw that preview in the theater the other day and I totally thought of Cooper! I love the way you ended the post before this "I'll let you know how I get on" Very British and very cute!

Related Posts with Thumbnails