Thursday, October 23, 2008

More mischievous misadventures of beach pup...

There were so many great pictures of our puppy at the beach off-leash on the weekend that I had to do a second installment of images.
Pup running on the sand
Speaking of being off-leash, Cooper is starting to get much better when walking out and about on his leash.  It's like a switch has flipped in the same way that he just got piddling and pooping outside when we were toilet training him with the transition from training mats to the great outdoors.  
Jason and Cooper having fun at the beach
He seems less nervy in the mornings in the dark and trots along much better, with considerably less sniffing and with less periods where he becomes an immovable object.  I've probably just cursed us now though and he'll revert to his troublesome ways tomorrow just to spite me.
Paws on the sand
He is a totally different dog when he's off-leash at the beach or Runyon Canyon as he tends not to venture too far and always keeps an eye on us even when he's busy playing with his dog pals.  
Wet beach pup
He's still got that exuberant puppy quality that means he'll go up to any dog and try and play with them and he absolutely loves people.  Show him the slightest attention and he's your friend for life.
Into the ocean
I had my first minor driving trauma the other day when I drove up to Runyon.  I'd forgotten to fill up with gas and my tank was nearly empty (see how I've assimilated?  Gas, not petrol) and the light was showing on the dashboard.  
In the ocean surf
I knew I could make it up the hill but wasn't sure I'd be able to make it home (luckily it is all downhill on the way back down Laurel Canyon Blvd.).  
Sycamore Cove pup with his stick
So I spent all of the hour long walk fretting that we'd be stranded at the top, or end up blocking the traffic in rush hour.  To make things worse I'd left my credit cards at home, so I only had a few dollars with me.  
Fir cone pup
Luckily though I had enough cash and it was such a relief to fill up and get us home.  I'll be more careful in the future methinks.
Sycamore Cove beach puppy
The good thing about going to the beach and for walks up the canyon is that even when I can't make it to the gym I feel like I'm doing some exercise.  
Dodging the waves
My trainer is on his honeymoon at the moment , so for the last two weeks I've been trying to maintain the momentum of working out three times a week with him (plus the other days on my own). 
Getting wet by the ocean
With a couple of weeks of house-guests it's been harder to keep to a regular routine, especially as it's so much better having someone tell you what to do properly and encouraging you through your workout.  
Stick fun at Sycamore Cove beach
Those hour long sessions always feel more productive than a longer one on my own (maybe it's the thought of getting good value for money).  He's back next week, so I'm sure I'll rediscover my mojo then.
Cooper strolling down the beach
In celebrity news, on Tuesday I popped to my hair dresser in Beverly Hills and discovered that as well as being Governator Arnie's favourite hair salon, that the brother of one of the stylists is the actor Mark Ruffalo from Blindness that I saw at the cinema the other day.
Sycamore Cove waves crashing on the beach
As well as getting better on his walks, Cooper has developed some other interesting quirks the past few days.  He's taken to going into our bedroom and sleeping under the bed more than he ever did.  
Charlie & Cooper at Sycamore Cove
Before he used to bark at us when he was under there for attention.  They say that some dogs like Labradors like confined spaces such as under tables, in their crates and under the sofa, as it's comforting to them.  
Tail in the air at Sycamore Cove
We've actually taken a risk and decided to let him sleep in our room at night out of his pen, rather than outside our bedroom door (he's growing so big he'll be able to step over it soon anyway).  We're praying we won't wake up to a paw in the face or to find our favourite green leather chair chewed to death.  It seems to be going OK so far though.
Sycamore Cove shore
Anyway, that's all for today.  I'll leave you now with a nice calming view of the Pacific Ocean...

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails