Monday, December 22, 2008

Life through a London Eye...

I'm proud to say that as an early Christmas present my blog has now surpassed 20,000 visitors since it launched in March this year.

Not bad really for someone who just moved to L.A. from London nine months ago with no prior blogging experience.
London Eye Twilight April 2006
In one of my polls the other day I asked visitors what thing, place or person they thought was the most iconic British symbol.  To my surprise they answered The London Eye, which is a bit of a shock to me as it's only been part of the London landscape for the last eight years or so.
The London Eye - Houses of Parliament view
The London Eye or Millennium Wheel as it's also called, is the biggest Ferris wheel in Europe, towering over the River Thames at a height of 135 metres (443 ft).  
The London Eye pod view
Originally designed to mark the new Millennium (hence the name) and planned to only remain for five years, it's since become one of the most popular tourist attractions in London, attracting over three million visitors a year.  
Jason in The London Eye pod
I've been on The London Eye three times myself and as I used to work on London's SouthBank used to regularly walk past it of a lunchtime.  I also remember the time they were building the thing on the Thames before they raised it into position.   
The London Eye city view
It takes around thirty minutes to ride the Wheel and it gives you some spectacular 360 degree views of London on a clear day. You'll find it not far from Westminster Bridge, just across the river from the Houses of Parliament and the infamous Big Ben.
Jason and Charlie ride The London Eye
If you're ever in London it's a great way to spend half an hour riding it with friends (although in the Summer the queues can be quite long).
The London Eye - Millennium Wheel
I think it's a brilliant piece of architectural and engineering design and truly an iconic symbol for London, really adding something to the city's skyline.
View from The London Eye
It looks wonderful all lit up at Christmas and it has also become a focal point for New Year's Eve celebrations and fantastic fireworks displays. 
Inside The London Eye pod
If you choose the right 'flight' on the Eye you can also get to see a spectacular London sunset.
A London Eye sunset
Anyway, I thought you all may enjoy the night-time photo of the Wheel (not one of mine sadly) as it's a suitably festive image (plus as the majority of my visitors are from the U.S.A. they may not know about the delights of The London Eye and I also get to indulge my sense of nostalgia for London at this time of year). 

Enjoy, spread the word and come back soon to help make a new 30,000 milestone...

1 comment:

AVCR8TEUR said...

The family and I were just talking about the London Eye today. If I ever get a chance to make it out there, I would love to get on it.

Congrats on your milestone!

Related Posts with Thumbnails