Sunday, June 7, 2009

Now that's what I call an angel, not so sure about those others though...

So the angel sightings are coming thick and fast this past week. We've had angelic imagery in West Hollywood and Downtown L.A., plus an angel in the garden outside the Angels Attic Museum in Santa Monica.
Studio City angel sighting
My latest find is quite frankly an impressive looking avenging angel, like something out of ancient Roman mythology.
Studio City angels
I glimpsed his impressive golden wings whilst driving past Marlow Fine Furnishings store on Ventura Blvd in Studio City the other day, so had to return and capture him on camera for my L.A. Angel Quest. 
Studio City avenging angel
I'm not sure I'd really want him as a statue in my garden or home though, as he seems a bit menacing.

Talk about driving past and glimpsing something, the other day I looked up (as I've done many times before) and suddenly noticed some feathered reliefs adorning the arch at the Hollywood & Highland Center.
Egyptian angel hieroglyphics at Hollywood and HIghland
Apparently after some online research I've learned that these Egyptian hieroglyphics on the Babylon Court Archway are part of the recreation of the Babylon Gate from D.W. Griffith's 1916 silent film Intolerance

So instead of angels, these are actually images of gods.  On the left-hand side is possibly the Assyrian deity Ashur and on the right is the eagle-headed Assyrian god of Agriculture Nisroch, different aspects of Egyptian god of the sky, Horus.

And with that cleared up, that's today's history lesson over for you...

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails