Friday, July 17, 2009

500 days of feel-good Summer...

Now this is more like it, a romantic comedy, but not a love story (we are told).

You can keep the laugh out loud visual gags of The Hangover, I'll take the intelligent, sweet and charming 500 days of Summer any day.

It made me smile, it made me chuckle and it was gentle and funny, bittersweet, but funny.
500 Days of Summer movie poster
I spent the entire movie thinking where had I seen the lead actor before (Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and in Mysterious Skin, Brick and Stop-Loss to answer my question) and the rest marveling at Zooey Deschanel's doe-like eyes (who I loved in Elf and felt sorry for in The Happening).

This first-time film from Marc Webb follows 'Tom' (Gordon-Levitt) as the narrative bounces from past to present chronicling his relationship with the supposed 'love of his life', 'Summer' (Deschanel). Unfortunately in this classic tale of 'boy meets girl', she doesn't feel the same way.

There's an eclectic musical soundtrack, fun dream sequences (I especially loved the choreographed dance sequence that comes from nowhere and the 'Han Solo moment', they helped fill my Friday with cheer), split-screen cinematography, but most of all an engaging story and clever acting to keep you entertained the whole movie.
Five Hundred days of Summer movie poster
You should also watch out for Tom's little sister, 'Rachel' (played by Chloe Moretz) as she's sure to be the next big 'child actor' to follow in the footsteps of Abigail Breslin and Dakota Fanning.

I'll say no more, but I give 500 Days of Summer four **** worthy stars.
If you need a feel-good movie for the Summer, this is it people...

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails