Monday, August 17, 2009

How to get a head in business...

I thought this witty headless statue was the perfect way to start the week and put a smile on everyone's faces.

I don't know how to get 'ahead' in business, let alone find 'a head', but maybe someone can tell this gentleman.
Corporate Head sculpture at Ernst & Young Plaza
This 'Corporate Head' sculpture from 1990 was a collaboration between Artist Terry Allen and Poet Philip Levine.

The bronze statue is located in Downtown L.A. at 7+FIG Plaza, on the corner of 7th and Figueroa Street, outside the corporate offices of Ernst & Young.
Philp Levine Corportae Head poem
Behind the sculpture if you look down (designed so you replicate the position of the bent over bronze figure), you'll find a plaque with the following poem:

They said
I had a head
for business.
They said
to get ahead
I had to lose
my head.
They said
be concrete
& I became
concrete.
They said,
go, my son,
multiply,
divide, conquer.
I did my best.

It's nothing to lose your head over, but it's definitely a quirkiness you don't often see in the world of big corporate business.

So after your morning commute by car, bus, tram or train and you feel like banging your head against a brick wall (or even after your first meeting of the day), maybe this image will stop you having a total sense of humour failure.

Maybe...

1 comment:

Michael Rivers said...

I usually feel like putting my head into a wall on Monday morning. haha. By the weekend I'm ready to take it out again.

Related Posts with Thumbnails