Monday, August 10, 2009

Julie & Julia is the perfect recipe for a great night out...

Take a couple of cosmos, some pasta, and add copious amounts of Meryl Streep and Amy Adams, and you have the perfect recipe for a fabulous evening at the movies with friends.
Julie & Julia movie billboard
Now this is the type of film I love to watch. It was a real tonic, pure delight and a joy to watch. Julie & Julia just made me smile for 123 minutes with is charming story, wonderful performances and witty dialogue.

Actual movie costumes worn by Meryl Streep 
and Amy Adams in Julie & Julia
Actual Julie & Julia movie costumes
The movie had our fellow audience members laughing out loud at the antics of Meryl Streep as Julia Childs, the woman who brought French cooking to the American people. 

You also couldn't help but empathise with Amy Adams as Julie Powell in her daily drudgery at work and her efforts to cook all 524 recipes in Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking book in a year, which gives her new purpose and joy.

Based on two true stories, Nora Ephron seamlessly blends the two worlds of the women's lives in the past and present together.
Not having grown up in America and been exposed to the culinary influence of Julia Child's, it's enlightening to learn more about the history of her and her husband, Paul, in Paris in the 1940's and 50's.

As a fellow blogger like Julie Powell it gives me hope that my cyberspace efforts are being appreciated by someone other than myself. I totally understand her passion for blogging and wanting to have a creative outlet for her talents, although I think now that the blogging world has exploded with activity it's getting less and less likely my story will end in a Hollywood movie.
Julie & Julia movie poster
I also like how even though Julie Powell achieves her goal there's a bittersweet ending to her culinary adventure and it's not all completely happily ever after.

This film wholeheartedly deserves five *** stars and I can't recommend it enough.

For more great pictures of original film costumes worn in Julie & Julia visit my Hollywood Movie Costumes and Props blog.

I know I shouldn't, but I think my next cinema outing will be to see G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra. I'm sure it will be bad, but I just can't help myself (especially as they had actual vehicles from G.I. Joe on display at ArcLight Hollywood at the weekend and I'm a sucker for that stuff)...

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails