Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Five worst movies of 2009...

I have an eclectic taste in movies and like the big budget blockbusters as well as the quirky independent films.

This past year I've seen around forty movies at the cinema and you've already glimpsed my five favourite movies for 2009, so here are what I consider the year's worst films.


MOST DEPRESSING MOVIE - WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE
Where The Wild Things Are billboard For all its wonderful cinematography, fantastic acting and believable creature workshop animatronics, Where The Wild Things Are left me feeling a bit empty and sad.


I know some people may think I didn't get the point the filmmaker was trying to make and that this was more of a children's story for grown ups, but for me it failed to deliver the uplifting spirit, sense of excitement and wonder that the trailer had promised. Rather than simply depressed, I was mostly disappointed.


Max costume from Where The Wild Things Are

MOST DISAPPOINTING MOVIE - X-MEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE
X-Men Origins Wolverine film poster I'm a huge Hugh Jackman fan and have enjoyed the three previous X-Men movies (even the third one), so I was utterly disappointed by his first solo adventure on the big screen. The movie just turned into another ensemble based movie, much less about an exploration of the personality of Wolverine and more about mining the extensive vaults of Marvel Comics characters.


Sadly not even Hugh Jackman and Ryan Reynolds buff bodies could save this movie from descending into CGI nonsense. Also shame on the director and script writers for watering down the popular mutant's origins from the harrowing ordeal it was in the source material to something so lackluster.


Such a shame. Let's hope the inevitable sequel can breathe new life and grit into Wolverine.


West Hollywood Pride Parade 2009 Wolverine

MOST BORING MOVIE - THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON
Curious Case of Benjamin Button film poster Not only did The Curious Case of Benjamin Button have the drabbest marketing promotional posters ever, but the 166 minute film was a bit of a snooze-fest.


What could have been a truly exciting premise turned into a long drawn out, convoluted affair. Even the de-aging special effects were not that phenomenal and the story, rather than intrigue me, left me wishing away the time until the end of the movie.
Curious Case of Benjamin Button poster

MOST OVERHYPED MOVIE - THE HANGOVER
The Hangover movie poster I don't see that many comedy movies at the cinema, but The Hangover came along when there wasn't that much else showing, much to my regret.


Rather than being original, I found the plot highly predictable and mediocre and felt the film was far too over-hyped.


Not even the 'easy-on-the-eyes' Bradley Cooper could make me enjoy the movie. Next time I'll trust my instincts and skip 'the funniest film of the summer'.
The Hangover film poster

WORST CGI MOVIE - TRANSFORMERS: REVENGE OF THE FALLEN
Optimus Prime Transformers 2 billboard Even though I thought that Transformers 2 was an improvement over the first film in terms of story, the fundamental problem with both movies is that you can never distinguish between any of the 'robots-in-disguise' and the action sequences are just a blurry CGI mess.


Don't even get me started on the gratuitous 'ass-shots' of Megan Fox and the juvenile humour throughout the movie. Again a wasted opportunity to take much-loved characters and make a truly original and entertaining movie, rather than just relying on lots of running about and big explosions.


Transformers 2 Optimus Prime Autobot truck I know that most of these films were huge commercial successes and I'm not saying they were unwatchable or particularly poorly made, it's just they were each disappointing in their own way. They were either unoriginal, uninspiring or just down-right dull.


But that's just my own opinion. What do you think? Did you like these movies, and if so why?


Other films falling short for me this year included Amreeka, Terminator Salvation, Race to Witch Mountain and Surrogates.


I'm sure there will be more stinkers to look forward to in 2010, but let's hope there are also some new cinematic classics to enjoy too...

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails