Monday, February 1, 2010

An afternoon of culture at The Walt Disney Concert Hall...

As we thoroughly enjoyed two seasons of the Hollywood Bowl, we promised ourselves that we would venture Downtown this year to try out the infamous Walt Disney Concert Hall acoustics for ourselves. By chance we were fortunate enough to receive two tickets from a friend who was unable to attend a Sunday afternoon performance on the 31st January.
Walt Disney Concert Hall Downtown LA
I've said before that I'm absolutely in awe of the futuristic exterior of the Frank Gehry designed Concert Hall, but I have to say that I was less impressed by the interior.
Walt Disney Concert Hall interior
Obviously I found the curved design inside the auditorium to be interesting, but the wood paneling and wood-tone reminded me too much of 70's designed furniture.
Walt Disney Concert Hall carpet
Don't even get me started on the patterned carpet and seating upholstery (in the same horrid fabric). I was underwhelmed and think I was just expecting so much more, after the contemporary design of the exterior, the interior seemed dated in a way.
Walt Disney Concert Hall ceiling
But style and beauty is such a personal thing, so my taste may be totally different to other patrons of the Concert Hall.

Regardless of the look of the interior, the acoustics were amazing and I was surprised at how intimate a performance space it was too. I imagine it's hard not to have a good view of the stage wherever you sit (even behind the orchestra).
LA Philharmonic Orchestra
We enjoyed the LA Philharmonic Orchestra with Pianist, Piotr Anderszewski, and Conductor, Vasily Petrenko, perform Beethoven's Piano Concerto No.1 in C Major, Op.15, followed by Tchaikovsky's Manfred Symphony, Op.58.

It made a refreshing change to enjoy some live classical music of a Sunday afternoon, so I'm sure this is not the last time we'll be visiting the Walt Disney Concert Hall.

Now if only I could get them to change that carpet...

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails