Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Mel Gibson is back from the Edge of Darkness...

To paraphrase Ricky Gervais at this year's Golden Globes, "I like a drink as much as the next man, unless the next man is Mel Gibson".

Indeed Mel Gibson's personal life hasn't been without its recent problems and so I questioned the wisdom his choice of a comeback movie called 'Edge of Darkness'.
Edge of Darkness movie billboard
I'm surprised to say that the film is actually a very entertaining thriller and goes some way to putting Gibson back on the straight and narrow (on the big screen at least).

It's a long time since I've enjoyed a movie with Mel Gibson in, let alone can remember a good one at that, so I was pleased to see that 117 minutes of my life wasn't wasted.

Mel Gibson play a Detective whose daughter is gunned down on the front steps of his family home. The assumption is that because he is a cop, the killer was someone with a vendetta against him, but as the plot progresses we discover that his daughter's internship at a nuclear research and development facility in Massachusetts had its share of secrets which ultimately led to her being targeted for death.
Edge of Darkness film billboard
Overall it's quite an engaging movie, with a few shocks and 'jump out of your seat' moments. You want to know the truth as much as her father and it's an intriguing government conspiracy that unfolds.

The Edge of Darkness is highly watchable, even though the ending is a bit overkill (quite literally), but it's well worth three *** stars and a trip to the cinema.

This was my sixth cinema outing of the year and I think my second favourite after Extraordinary Measures, so that's not bad going. It's been a mixed bag of movies so far, I wonder what the rest of February will bring...

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails