Monday, June 21, 2010

Get Him to the Greek is surprisingly funny...

I really had no intention of going to see Get Him to the Greek, but friends told me it was the funniest movie they'd seen in ages, so with that bit of arm-twisting, and a couple of cocktails, I relented and headed off for a Saturday evening outing.
Get Him to the Greek movie billboard
An inexperienced record company intern, Superbad's Jonah Hill, is tasked with getting Russell Brand's out-of-control British rock star to L.A.'s Greek Theatre for a sold-out 10th anniversary performance. As you can imagine hilarity ensues along the way with lots of lewd jokes, drug taking, sexual escapades, graphic vomiting and some great performances from the two lead stars.

I've never been a huge fan of Russell Brand, thinking him a bit of a one trick pony, but he shows he has more strings to his bow than I originally thought and that he can actually act.

He shows us that his rocker character 'Aldous Snow' is outrageous, but also a complex and vulnerable character and his on screen chemistry with Jonah Hill is what raises this drunken 'buddy movie' from merely visual gags to something with a bit more substance.
Get Him to the Greek film poster
I also thought that the movie had a great British sensibility to it, maybe it was the accents and locations, but at times myself and my two fellow Europeans watching the film did find ourselves laughing at different times to our fellow audience members.

Saying that there were so many 'I can't believe they're doing that, or showing that moments' that I did find myself groaning and gasping along with the rest of the cinema goers. I actually think it was the reaction of the audience that made it so entertaining.

Credit also must go to Rose Byrne as the wonderful, equally dysfunctional pop star and ex-wife of Aldous, 'Jackie Q', and to Sean 'P. Diddy' Combs as ruthless record company boss, 'Sergio', who shows us he can be funny.
Get Him to the Greek billboard
Comedy is not my favourite genre at the movies so I surprised myself not only by going to see Get Him to the Greek, but also by actually enjoying the whole 109 minute movie.

I give the comedy three *** stars. I don't think I ever need to see the movie ever again, but I'm glad that I did watch it on the big screen.

So enough of the comedies, roll on the summer blockbuster movies...

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails