Saturday, August 7, 2010

Celebrity spotting in L.A...

Even though I've been living in 'Hollywoodland' for over two years now, I still get excited when I see a celebrity out and about, no matter how A or Z-list they may be. Whether it's at Runyon Canyon whilst walking my dog, at the gym or my local grocery store I still get a thrill, so for your enjoyment here are all my celebrity sightings to date (the ones I've managed to capture on camera anyway).

Glee's Jane Lynch
Jane Lynch aka Sue Sylvester
I don't usually go out of my way to find celebrities, but I couldn't resist going along this week when I heard that the actress Jane Lynch, who plays Sue Sylvester in Glee, was getting her own waxwork at Madame Tussauds Hollywood. I've also seen Matthew Morrison, 'Will Shuester', her sparring partner in Glee, running along Mulholland Drive and down into Runyon Canyon Park.

Jane Lynch and her waxwork Sue Sylvester
Sue Sylvester aka Jane Lynch Madame Tussauds
On arriving in L.A. the first ever Hollywood star I glimpsed was Teri Hatcher eating lunch in Studio City, so she holds a special place in my heart. Imagine my delight when I saw her up close and personal last September, competing for the Disney Tri-Team at the Malibu Triathlon at Zuma Beach.

Desperate Housewives Teri Hatcher
Teri Hatcher wetsuit Malibu Triathlon 09
She wasn't the only celebrity there that morning though, as lots of famous stars of TV and film had come out to raise money for the Childrens Hospital Los Angeles.

Desperate Housewives Felicity Huffman
Felicity Huffman Malibu Triathlon 09
Teri Hatcher was joined by her Desperate Housewives co-star, Felicity Huffman, who was there with her husband William H. Macy.

William H. Macy, Felicity Huffman and Andy Baldwin
Felicity Huffman and Andy Baldwin Malibu Triathlon 09
They were also joined by The Bachelor reality TV star, hunky Andy Baldwin.

Film and TV star William H. Macy
William H Macy completes Malibu race
Modern Family's Julie Bowen also completed in a relay team for the traithlon.

Julie Bowen and Teri Hatcher
Julie Bowen and Teri Hatcher Disney Triathlon Team
Adding some eye candy to the event was super-buff Mario Lopez.

Mario Lopez
Mario Lopez Zuma Beach Triathlon
The Saved by the Bell star and host of America's Best Dance Crew MTV show actually did the whole triathlon, but in a slower time than Teri Hatcher.

Mario Lopez
Mario Lopez Malibu Triathlon Sep 09
Jeremy Piven from Entourage was also on hand to add some man candy to the proceedings.

Entourage's Jeremy Piven
Jeremy Piven Malibu Triathlon 09
Finally, TV legend David Hasslehoff, of Knight Rider and Baywatch fame, started the whole affair in his own inimitable style.

David 'The Hoff' Hasslehoff
David Hasslehoff Malibu Triathlon 09
Speaking of living legends, I also got to see Aretha Franklin, the Queen of Soul, at the Hollywood Bowl last June.

Halle Berry and Aretha Franklin
Halle Berry and Aretha Franklin Hollywood Bowl
She was joined on stage by Hollywood A-Lister Halle Berry, who was sitting a couple of box seats behind us in the audience, plus Angela Bassett, Jesse Jackson and Billy Dee Williams were also in attendance.

Kylie Minogue at the Hollywood Bowl
Kylie Minogue Hollywood Bowl concert 09
I also got to see the amazing Kylie Minogue in concert at the Hollywood Bowl on her first ever U.S. Tour on October 5, 2009.

Pet Shop Boys at The Greek Theatre
Pet Shop Boys Greek Theatre Sep09
My first time at The Greek Theatre in Griffith Park last September I saw Neil Tennant and Chris Lowe perform live on their Pet Shop Boys: Pandemonium on Tour concert.

Adrien Grenier and the Entourage cast
Adrien Grenier and Entourage cast
Back in June 2008 I managed to snap the entire cast of Entourage shooting their promo poster for the fifth season of their popular TV show. Adrien Grenier, Kevin Dillon, Jerry Ferrara, Jeremy Piven and Kevin Connolly were all there as I drove past along Santa Monica Boulevard.

Balthazar Getty and Sienna Miller
Balthazar Getty and Sienna Miller at ArcLight Hollywood
I snapped Brothers & Sisters star Balthazar Getty and G.I. Joe movie star Sienna Miller on a date at the ArcLight Hollywood cinema in December 2008. I've seen him since walking alone at Runyon Canyon, plus his Brothers & Sisters co-star, Matthew Rhys (Kevin Walker), was also at the Malibu Triathlon.

On the Red Carpet TV presenters Rachel Smith and Chris Balish
Rachel Smith and Scott Balish
In April this year I spotted TV hosts of On the Red Carpet, Rachel Smith and Chris Balish filming in Hollywood. They also took part in L.A.'s 40th Annual Pride Parade in June.

Sharon Osbourne
Sharon Osbourne LA Pride 2010
Speaking of West Hollywood Pride, this year's Parade Grand Marshals were mother and daughter combo, Sharon and Kelly Osbourne, who looked like they were having a ball.

Kelly and Sharon Osbourne
Kelly and Sharon Osbourne LA Pride 2010
At 2009's Gay Pride celebrations, comedienne and Talk Show Host Chelsea Handler rode a Parade float and showed her support for the gay community.

TV host Chelsea Handler
Chelsea Handler WEHO Pride Parade 09
In December 2008 I snapped John Stamos narrating 'The First Christmas' story at Disneyland's Candlelight Ceremony.

E.R.'s John Stamos
John Stamos Disneyland Candlelight Ceremony 08
He played 'Dr. Tony Gates' in 65 episodes of the medical TV drama, E.R., and since then I've also spotted his fellow former E.R. stars Eriq la Salle (Dr. Peter Benton) hiking at Runyon Canyon and Goran Visnjic (Dr. Luka Kovac) shopping at my local West Hollywood Gelson's store.

It's not always possible to catch these celebs on camera, either I've walked past and then I realise who they are, or I feel a bit rude going up to them and taking a picture (I could never be a paparazzi).

But the other stars I've spotted in my time here are Naveen Andrews ('Sayid' from LOST) at Mark's Restaurant, Kirsten Vangsness ('Penelope Gracia' in Criminal Minds) shopping at The Grove, Anna Friel also at The Grove, Enchanted's James Marsden cycling in Studio City, Scott Lowell and Robert Gant from the U.S. version of Queer as Folk, celebrity stylist Rachel Zoe and Jackie Warner from Bravo's reality show, Workout.

Workout's Jackie Warner
Workout's Jackie Warner
Runyon Canyon is usually a hotbed of celebrity sightings - Matt Dallas from Kyle XY, movie star Ben Stiller, Desperate Housewives Shawn Pyfrom, X-Men's Famke Janssen, Heroes Robert Forster, Little Britain's Matt Lucas, Terminator 2's Robert Patrick and Private Practice's 'SWAT guy' David Sutcliffe to name but a few. I'm sure there are more I see there every day and just don't know who they are.

So my top tip, always have a camera ready (or an iPhone if all else fails). Who knows who will be next...

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails