Monday, October 25, 2010

Beating the monster L.A. Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon...

Hills, hills, hills. Who knew there were so many uphill inclines in L.A., I certainly wasn't prepared for them all, they nearly killed me.
Jason running Rock n Roll LA Half Marathon
The inaugural L.A. Rock 'n' Roll 1/2 Marathon was a monster, but luckily I persevered and beat my previous Personal Best by about four minutes and ran the 13.1 miles in 1:39:50.

One mile walk to the start from the drop off zone
Rock n Roll LA Half Marathon start 2010
It was another early morning start, up at 5am for a 7.30am start, but I'm so pleased with my time as I feel like I haven't done so many big distance training runs lately.

Waiting in our corrals before the race in Griffith Park
Before Rock n Roll LA Half Marathon
The race itself felt a bit uninspiring to me, only when I saw the glistening towers of Downtown L.A. did I feel a glimmer of inspiration. I'm probably being too harsh, but it was a hard race and running through Silverlake and Echo Park didn't really motivate me as much as I'd hoped.

The Start Line seen from Corral 3
Rock n Roll LA Half Marathon start line
My first Half Marathon was at Disneyland and then I also got to run through Angel Stadium in Anaheim which was a real thrill, so I suppose that set the bar high.

Jason in Hollywood running the last mile
Jason runs Rock n Roll LA Half Marathon
For a Rock 'n' Roll race I thought that the bands and DJ's along the way were a bit sporadic at best and the music wasn't that great, I certainly didn't feel that buoyed by it as I ran past.
Jason at Rock n Roll LA Half Marathon
In comparison I also felt the atmosphere wasn't the same for this race and it was more for serious runners, than for fun seekers.

Finish Line Festival
LA Rock n Roll Half Marathon Festival
What I did realise though is that I'm really going to need all the help I can get to elevate me to the 26.2 mile marathon. Luckily I'm training with the T2: Team To End AIDS group to raise money for AIDS Project Los Angeles.

Official L.A. Rock 'n' Roll 1/2 Marathon race shirt and medal
Rock n Roll LA Half Marathon medal and shirt
I chose to wear my Team To End AIDS t-shirt, rather than the Rock 'n' Roll race gear, to help raise awareness for the charity and hopefully get a few more donations for my L.A. Marathon fundraising.
Rock n Roll LA Half Marathon band
Even though it was a beast of a half marathon, the best of all at the end was seeing my two boys towards the end in Downtown L.A., Charlie and Cooper, which really helped push myself to a last minute sprint for the Finish Line.

Jason and Cooper after the Half Marathon
After Rock n Roll LA Half Marathon 2010
It looks like I was 425th overall fastest runner of over 12,000 participants, 349th fastest male and 60th fastest in my division of 35-39 males. Not bad going for only my second half marathon.

Marathon training resumes next Saturday at 7am in Griffith Park...

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails