Sunday, October 17, 2010

Running AIDS Walk Los Angeles 2010...

Another day, another race. In addition to our five mile training run in Griffith Park yesterday morning, today myself and my new T2: Team To End AIDS running mates led the 30,000 walkers in the AIDS Walk Los Angeles.

Running AIDS Walk Los Angeles
AIDS Walk 2010 Finish
Even though it was raining (or misting as I prefer to refer to it), it was the perfect running weather, nice and cool and refreshing. The only danger being the slippery surface streets (I'm sure I'll have a bruise on my backside to prove it tomorrow).

Cooper joins in the fun before the race
Cooper and Jason with T2 runners AIDS Walk 2010
It was such a joy to run the empty streets of L.A. this morning. It was like a post-apocalyptic world, with no cars or pedestrians along the streets. You just don't get the chance to run on these roads so freely on a daily basis.

Because we were running, not walking the AIDS Walk, we headed off earlier than the masses behind us and so they were still putting the finishing touches to the course as we ran our seven minute miles. The earlier start and drizzle meant there weren't as many spectators to cheer us along, but the volunteers along the six mile run did a great job of keeping us motivated.

T2 runners heading to the start of the AIDS Walk
T2 training AIDS Walk 2010
Four of us led the pack of T2 runners, all training for either the Honolulu or L.A. Marathons, and it was great to run in a group and make some new running mates.

And we're off (I'm in the middle with black shorts with white stripe)
AIDS Walk 2010 T2 start
Yesterday at the team training I'd been slightly disheartened that my chosen eight minute mile team only had a handful of runners. So it was nice to have this event today to relight my fire, as the reason I signed up with the T2 training team was to enjoy the camaraderie of everyone in the same boat, training for the same end result and all raising money for the same worthwhile cause, AIDS Project L.A.

New running mates (and race winners)
T2 AIDS Walk winning team
We finished today's unofficial race in around forty-two minutes, even though the course team were a bit unprepared for us finishing so quickly and no one could tell us where the Finish Line was. We even ran through the hordes of walkers to make sure we hadn't missed it, to no avail.

T2: Team To End Aids after the 6 mile race
T2 team AIDS Walk 2010
Still there was a fantastic team spirit and it was great to cheer in our fellow T2 racemates as they made it to our makeshift Finish Line.

Even more great news is that thanks to the generous support of friends and family, I've now raised over $765 in donations towards my 26.2 mile L.A. Marathon sponsorship.

But I still need more support. Please donate at my sponsorship page on behalf of AIDS Project Los Angeles.

Next Sunday I have the 13.1 mile Rock 'n' Roll Los Angeles 1/2 Marathon. Wish me luck...

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails