Saturday, February 5, 2011

Jet-lag, 20 mile runs and ice-baths...

Ow, ow, ow. I'm just back from marathon training and have just had my first ever ice-bath.
Running recovery ice-bath
Today we had an early 6am start in Griffith Park (which was not so bad as I was up at 4.40am with jet-lag) and I completed my first ever 20 mile run.

Lack of sleep meant that I was tired and had sore muscles even before I started, so you can imagine how I feel 20 miles later. It was a hard run and everything aches now, but I was reassured by my running mates and coaches that after sufficient stretching and an ice-bath I'd feel much better the next day.
Curious Labrador Cooper
The jury is still out on that, but I have to say a freezing cold bath is not my idea of a good time and Cooper certainly didn't know what to make of it all.
Ice-bath after running 20 miles
I think he was slightly concerned with my pained facial expressions, or maybe he simply wanted to munch on one of the ice-cubes.
Smiley pup Cooper
To be honest after the initial tentative steps into the ice-cold bath it does get better, I suppose until you're too numb to care. Let's hope it does the trick.

Let's hope the 23 mile training run in couple of weeks is easier...

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails