Tuesday, April 5, 2011

When sprinklers go wrong...

There's something inherently funny about a broken sprinkler spraying water all over the place. Here's just a few examples from my local West Hollywood neighbourhood.
Sprinklers gone wrong
However, I also can't help but think it's an awful waste, especially when we're essentially living in a desert here in Los Angeles.
Sprinkler gone wrong
For me there's nothing more annoying than to see sprinklers on when its raining, or garden workmen hosing down sidewalks and driveways when there really is no need to be so wasteful.
Broken sprinkler
It also irked me last Summer when there were sprinkler restrictions, to see them still operating, especially in areas with untended patches of land, or simply dirt or concrete, where the water just ran straight down the drain. What a waste.
Broken sprinkler
In the same way that I wish more people in California would use solar power because of all this glorious sunshine, I can't help but think there must be some way to collect all that water when we have those torrential rainfalls rather than to see all that surface water simply disappear in the gutter.

In the meantime I'll keep laughing when sprinklers go wrong...

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails