Saturday, August 20, 2011

Nostalgic delights at Disney's D23 Expo...

On Friday I popped along to Disney's D23 Expo, which is for die-hard Disney fans, but my mission was to see and photograph as many original costumes and props as I could.

Disney's D23 Expo
Disney D23 Expo 2011 Anaheim Convention Center
I like Disney, but I'm certainly not as passionate about it as real hardcore fans, but I still got a kick out of seeing all the different exhibits and stands at the event at the Anaheim Convention Center.

Mater and Lightning McQueen from Disney Pixar's Cars
Mater and Lightning McQueen Cars
This is the second D23 Expo, the first was almost two years ago in September 2009, and I'm told this one was much bigger and better than the inaugural event, and busier too, with Saturday selling out at maximum capacity.

Black Pearl miniature pirate ship from Pirates of the Caribbean
Black Pearl Pirates of the Caribbean ship
There were some real spectacular sights from Disney movies on show, including this 'miniature' Black Pearl pirate ship model used in the second and third Pirates of the Caribbean movies.

Original Alice in Wonderland costumes on display
Mad Hatter and Alice in Wonderland costumes
I didn't sit through any of the scheduled presentations, to be honest I'm not much of an exhibition goer after working countless shows for my work in the U.K., but I did take a look at what the theme parks have planned for the future and that was quite cool.

Costumes from the original Tron movie
Tron 1982 movie costumes
My favourite part of D23 was the Treasures of the Walt Disney Archives, 12,000-square-feet filled with authentic costumes, props and more from Disney movies that frankly made me feel rather nostalgic and fortunate for being able to see so many items up close.

The highlight for me had to be these original Tron costumes which were displayed brilliantly under neon lighting.

Who Framed Roger Rabbit movie prop
Roger Rabbit blind movie prop
In addition to the archives upstairs, they also had costumes and props on display from the latest Pirates of the Caribbean movie, On Stranger Tides, which I'd mostly seen before when I'd watched the film at the El Capitan Theatre in Hollywood.

Johnny Depp's Captain Jack Sparrow costume
from Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
Jack Sparrow Pirates 4 costume
There was also movie memorabilia from The Rocketeer, 101 Dalmatians (the live-action movie), Hocus Pocus, National Treasure, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Father of the Bride and TV shows like LOST and Zorro from the late-50's.

Glenn Close's Cruella De Vil costume from 101 Dalmatians
Cruella De Vil 101 Dalmatians costume
You can see why people love Disney so much with all of these cool things all together under the same roof.
Mickey Mouse Disney D23 Expo
Let's hope the D23 Expo is a success, so we can see more costume and prop exhibits in the future.

Personally I think it'd be great to see some displays from Mary Poppins, Escape to Witch Mountain, Return to Oz and The Black Hole to name but a few films...

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails