Sunday, September 4, 2011

New Personal Best race time at the Disneyland Half Marathon...

Another Disneyland Half Marathon and another Personal Best today of 1:37:01 for the 13.1 mile race.

Jason in Hollywood rocks the 6th Annual
Disneyland Half Marathon 2011
Jason rocks Disneyland Half Marathon 2011
I did it and I'm so relieved, as it was a hard race this year. I think the difficulty was mainly due to a lack of serious training and too large a gap since my last big race, which was the L.A. Marathon in March.

Pluto lends a helping paw at the
race packet pick-up on Saturday
Disneyland Half Marathon Pluto
Yesterday I picked up my race packet, bought some essentials at the Health & Fitness Expo and then enjoyed a pre-race meal at the Napa Rose restaurant which was very tasty. Then off to bed for an early night.

King of the Castle or Disney Princess - you decide!
Disneyland Half Marathon King of the castle
We stayed at the Grand Californian Hotel this year so the 4am start wasn't so jarring, and no early morning drive meant we just stepped out of the hotel and it was a short walk to the starting corrals.

A sunny Start Line later on Sunday morning
Disney Half Marathon start
As ever there was a great energy and enthusiasm from the Disney runners and the American National Anthem was especially stirring (even for a Brit) with fireworks timed perfectly for the "rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air".

Heading to the start before the race at 5am
Disneyland Half Marathon 5am
Being in Corral A, rather than D for the 5th Annual Disneyland Half Marathon last year, meant I got off to a quicker start as I waved goodbye to Mickey & Minnie, and was able to pace myself against some really fast runners.

Corral A start at 6am
Corral A start Disneyland Half Marathon
Also an improvement this year was the time you spent running through the parks, as last year it seemed to be blink and you miss it, but the winding course at the beginning really did allow you to take in lots of sights from California Adventure and Disneyland uniquely with hardly any people around.

Jason racing for the Finish Line
Disneyland Half Marathon race to finish
Another favourite of the course is running through the Angel Stadium of Anaheim, as you fly around the pitch with all the cheering crowds and seeing yourself projected on the big screen.

I really speeded up as the race went on and completed 5k in 23:46 at a 7:39 pace, 10k in 47:06 at a 7:35 pace and 15k in 1:10:06 at 7:31 pace. My overall pace for this Half Marathon was 7:24.

Disneyland Half Marathon 2011 race t-shirt and finisher medal
Disneyland Half Marathon 2011 shirt and medal
I have to admit though at the end I didn't have my usual spurt of extra energy to give and the race for the Finish Line was tough.

But I achieved my goal of beating my previous times and I am thrilled with my 1:37:01 result.

I'm looking forward to seeing the official race photos soon...

2 comments:

Snut said...

you did great jason !

Jason in Hollywood said...

Thanks, am wiped out now, but at least I can drink again :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails