Thursday, November 10, 2011

Musical billboards around New York's Times Square...

There's nothing I love better when I'm in New York than taking in a Broadway musical and it also gives me an excuse to photograph all the great billboards around Times Square too.
Priscilla Broadway musical billboard
This trip I was overjoyed to see the Broadway musical version of Priscilla Queen of the Desert at the Palace Theatre, which was just as fabulous as the West End version of the show I'd seen in February earlier this year (it's one of my favourite feel-good films of all time).

The only major differences being the music of Madonna to replace Kylie Minogue and the movie's original ABBA score, plus maybe a few less racy jokes than those I'd experienced in London.
Priscilla musical Palace Theatre entrance
It was still a camp masterpiece though, with fabulous costumes, dancers and acting, plus as the billboard says, this show really does have heart. I can't tell you how many costume ideas it gave me for Halloween next year too!
Book of Mormon musical billboard
Elsewhere, the skies of Times Square were filled with billboards like this one for The Book of Mormon, which is pretty much sold-out at the moment and on my must-see list for the future.
Anything Goes musical billboard
Meanwhile, Anything Goes won the Tony Award for Best Musical Revival in 2011 and for lead actress, Sutton Foster.
How to suceed billboard
The great thing about Broadway is that you also get to see a great high-profile cast, be it Daniel Radcliffe in How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying or Brooke Shields in The Addams Family musical.
Brooke Shields Addams Family billboard
Just like Priscilla, there are also other musicals which started life on the big screen and have ended up on stage, like Sister Act (I loved that film too).
Sister Act musical billboardSister Act Broadway billboard
And it's nice to see that popular shows like Wicked are still running, and even touring in L.A. this winter.
Wicked musical billboard
Stay tuned for even more fantastic billboards from around New York in November, including movies, television, fashion and more...

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails