Thursday, March 1, 2012

Honolulu Marathon here I come...

It's the first day of March, so obviously time for another challenge.

Even though I've been laid-up all week with a back muscle spasm after the 23-miler at the weekend, I've decided to sign up for the Honolulu Marathon on December 9 this year.
Honolulu Marathon
Apparently the race has been held on second Sunday in December since 1973 and will be a fitting early birthday present.

I'll be raising much needed funds again for AIDS Project L.A. and this year T2: Team to End AIDS has collectively raised over $300,000 by training and fundraising for the L.A. Marathon in 17 days.

For 2012 I've already raised $2,469 from generous donations from friends, family and supporters, which brings my total over the last two years to over $5,200.
Hawaii 5-O billboard
People often ask why do I run, especially with all the injuries I get. I've never been 'sporty', but I love running because don't have to be good at it - you just run.

Yes there are techniques and training, but you don't have to know how to hit a ball, tackle anyone or catch anything, or need any other complicated equipment save a pair of running shoes. And the sense of achievement you feel after completing a marathon is simply amazing.

And you never know, maybe soon I'll be joining the cast of Hawaii 5-O (well maybe a 'walk on', or 'run by', part that is)...

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails