Monday, May 14, 2012

Doctor Who and Torchwood treats in Cardiff Bay...

Imagine my delight upon discovering that a trip to Cardiff Bay would not only yield the filming locations of the Torchwood Hub, but the installation of a new T.A.R.D.I.S. at the forthcoming Doctor Who Experience site.

The T.A.R.D.I.S. lands in Cardiff Bay
Doctor Who TARDIS Cardiff Bay
I may be too early to enjoy the exhibition itself coming this Summer, but at least I got to see The Doctor's infamous blue police box being installed next to the site of the new BBC tourist attraction.

Wales Millennium Centre and The Water Tower
Wales Millennium Center Water Tower
Water Tower Cardiff Bay
Being Welsh and a fan of the cult British sci-fi series growing up, it was always fun seeing them try and pass Cardiff streets off as London in the relaunched Doctor Who episodes.

Memorial to Torchwood character Ianto Jones
Ianto Jones Torchwood memorial Cardiff Bay
However it was even more satisfying for them to openly celebrate Cardiff as the home of the Torchwood Institute and the Dr. Who TV show spin-off starring John Barrowman.

BBC Wales Studios
BBC Wales Studios Cardiff Bay
There's no surprise, but it's also quite cool, to see BBC Wales Studios located across the way from the new Doctor Who exhibition space.

Home of the new Doctor Who Experience
Doctor Who Experience building site
Doctor Who Experience building Cardiff Bay
Doctor Who Experience building Cardiff Bay
I'm sure the exhibit will be a popular tourist attraction for Wales once it opens (I know a lot of my American friends who are sci-fi fans would love to visit), and I especially love the shape of the building which looks very alien itself.

The T.A.R.D.I.S. being installed
TARDIS installation Doctor Who Experience Cardiff Bay
TARDIS Doctor Who Experience Cardiff Bay
It's not the usual way for the time-traveling police box to materialise into place, but it's jaunty angle hints at a crash landing, which is more in keeping with the Time Lord.
TARDIS installation Doctor Who Experience Cardiff Bay
I'm sure I'll be able to enjoy the Doctor Who Experience on my next U.K. visit, but for now it's got me excited for the new season of the show and hopeful that Torchwood will one day return.

Hmmm, now I'm in the mood for some fish fingers and custard...

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails