Wednesday, June 27, 2012

LACMA's new Levitated Mass rock star...

Usually when hundreds of people get excited about a rock star it's for a big music concert, not so with LACMA's latest art installation featuring a 340-ton boulder.

Levitated Mass installation by Michael Heizer
Levitated Mass LACMA
Some may say 'Only in L.A.' when hordes of Los Angelenos are so captivated by a giant rock, but now having seen the 'Levitated Mass' for myself, I have to say it's pretty clever and fascinating.
Levitated Mass LACMA
Levitated Mass rock installation LACMA
Do I think it's the biggest or whitest rock I've ever seen, or worth the millions of dollars it no doubt took to haul the 105 miles from its Riverside quarry to its new home at the Los Angeles County Museum of Arts? No, I do not.
Levitated Mass installation LACMA
Levitated Mass LACMA
But Michael Heizer's installation is still a real spectacle, especially on a day like today when framed against a lovely clear blue California sky.
Levitated Mass
Levitated Mass rock installation LACMA
I'm not sure it beats my favourite LACMA installation, Chris Burden's Urban Light, but I do think it's going to be a real crowd pleaser and major L.A. tourist attraction.
Levitated Mass rock LACMA
And if giant rocks are not your thing, there's always a big lake of tar to entertain you next to LACMA's neighbouring Page Museum.

La Brea Tar Pits
La Brea Tar Pits
Let's just hope this big rock never rolls in any of L.A.'s notorious earthquakes...

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails