Saturday, January 4, 2014

Five worst movies of 2013....

Yesterday I shared my five favourite movies of last year and today it's the turn of the films that failed to entertain on so many levels. I'm sure there were far worse travesties gracing the big screen in 2013, but these were the films I watched at the cinema and was utterly disappointed by. So, in no particular order, here they are.

R.I.P.D.
RIPD movie billboard
R.I.P.D. (Rest In Peace Department) wasn't really on my must-see list, but I had a spare morning and wanted some mindless escapism, so I took potluck with another comic book adaptation with a supernatural twist.

All I can say is poor Ryan Reynolds. He really needs to get a new agent after the movies he's chosen lately. I thought Green Lantern was bad, but this film was atrocious.
RIPD film billboard
R.I.P.D. is basically a rip-off of Men in Black (which I wasn't keen on as a movie franchise either), but instead of aliens it's demonic souls causing the trouble. An unoriginal story, lack of chemistry between the two lead stars and some terrible over-acting by Jeff Bridges, made this a real pain and snoozefest to watch.

JACK THE GIANT SLAYER
Jack Giant Slayer movie billboard
Just like comic book adaptations, updated fairytales have been all the rage in recent years in Hollywoodland. Unlike some I really enjoyed Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters at the start of the year, but sadly Jack The Giant Slayer was one reimagined tale I could have done without.

A humdrum plot, an overuse of CGI giants and a hammy Ewan McGregor (who was so amazing in The Impossible) were just some of the problems with this fantasy film.
Jack The Giant Slayer movie billboard
Poor Nicholas Hoult, I think it's best if you stick with the X-Men movie franchise as 'Beast' in the future.

ELYSIUM
Elysium movie billboard
Now here's one of the biggest disappointments of 2013 for me. A dystopian sci-fi film with Matt Damon and Jodie Foster, should have been great, right? I thought so, but I was absolutely proved wrong.

I was expecting so much more to Neill Blomkamp's next movie after the wonderful District 9, but sadly the whole social commentary angel of the rich living on a luxurious orbiting space station and the poor barely living on a ravaged Earth, quickly descended into just another mindless action movie.

Matt Damon was horribly miscast, as he's far too pretty to be a barrio factory worker and Jodie Foster seemed to have no real motivation, aside from being evil, and nothing of note to contribute to the overall plot.

Sharlto Copley, who a revelation as 'Wikus' in District 9, was total caricature of a mad killer agent and the whole thing simply descended into two men in eco-skeletons punching each other, as if it was a terminator movie.
Elysium movie poster
There was nothing subtle or clever about the plot and the ending was flat and predictable. Elysium quickly went from being one of my most highly-anticipated movies of the year, to the biggest waste of my time. Very disappointing, indeed.

G.I. JOE: RETALIATION
GI Joe Retaliation movie billboard
Now where do I start with the G.I. Joe sequel? I suppose I shouldn't really expect much from a film based on a toy franchise.

Killing off Channing Tatum's 'Duke' character wasn't the smartest move after his star has been rising of late, and not even the addition of Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson and Bruce Willis could rescue this travesty which was simply about bigger guns and more ninjas, but not in a good way.
GI Joe Retaliation billboard
G.I. Joe: Retaliation is just bland and dumb, like watching a bad Saturday morning cartoon, just twice as long and unexciting.

THE GREAT GATSBY
Great Gatsby 2013 movie billboard
Another huge disappointment for me last year was Baz Lurhmann's remake of The Great Gatsby. Strictly Ballroom and Moulin Rouge are some of my favourite films (I even liked Australia), but I just couldn't connect with his latest effort.

The trailer for the movie looked amazing, full of dazzling spectacle, wonderful costumes and cool music, but the reality was a bit of a mess.

I'm not a fan of Leonardo DiCaprio at the best of times, but in this I totally didn't believe there was any chemistry between him and Carey Mulligan. She's one of my favourite actresses, but she just resembled a simpering wishy-washy stereotype.

The costume design did capture the Roaring Twenties spirit though, so be sure to check out these original costumes from The Great Gatsby in more detail at my Hollywood Movie Costumes and Props blog.

Original costumes from The Great Gatsby 
on display at ArcLight Hollywood
Great Gatsby movie costume exhibit
Another movie which I'm sure should be on this list is The Lone Ranger, but I couldn't bring myself to waste my money to go and see it, especially as two of my all-time least favorite genres are pirates and Westerns (and I for one am sick and tired of constantly seeing Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter in the same movie).

Be sure to also check out the worst movies from 2012 and if you want to see what I did like last year, take a look at my five favourite 2013 movies.

Let's hope 2014 doesn't disappoint in such a big way, but I'm sure there'll be more than a few stinkers...

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails