Thursday, April 10, 2014

Colourful Arts of Palm sculpture project celebrating Beverly Hills Centennial...

The little things in life please me, a clear blue sky, a happy puppy and spotting some fantastic new sculptures when I'm out and about in Beverly Hills, for instance.

New Beverly Hills City Hall lawn sculptures
Beverly Hills Arts of Palm sculptures
This collection of colourful outdoor art is part of a new year long public art installation called 'Arts of Palm', which will showcase a collection of artists interpretations of the city's iconic palm trees, to help mark Beverly Hills Centennial celebrations. 
Beverly Hills City Hall lawn sculptures 2014
Beverly Hills City Hall lawn Brad Howe sculptures
This selection of four vibrant sculptures on Beverly Hill's City Hall lawn are all by artist Brad Howe and they've certainly brightened my morning runs these post few weeks when I've been racing along Santa Monica Boulevard at Crescent Drive.

Reckon sculpture by Brad Howe
Reckon sculpture Brad Howe Beverly Hills City Hall
Reckon sculpture Brad Howe Beverly Hills
Brad Howe Reckon sculpture Beverly Hills City Hall lawn
I have to say if I didn't know these sculptures were inspired by palm trees it's not the first thing that springs to mind, although I suppose 'Reckon' (one of my favourites) could be interpreted as palm fronds.

Not Socrates... The Other Guy sculpture by Brad Howe
Not Socrates The Other Guy sculpture Brad Howe
Not Socrates The Other Guy sculpture beverly hills
Beverly Hills City Hall lawn Brad Howe sculptures
Not Socrates sculpture Santa Monica Boulevard
For me they are more like a trippy collection of chess pieces from Alice in Wonderland, or some equally imaginative fantasy world, especially this 'Not Socrates... The Other Guy' artwork, which in my mind resembles a horse-headed knight piece.

Pulpo en el Coche sculpture by Brad Howe
Pulpo en el Coche sculpture Brad Howe Beverly Hills
Beverly Hills City Hall outdoor sculptures
Pulpo en el Coche sculpture Beverly Hills
Regardless of the inspiration, I do think they make an excellent addition to Beverly Hills landscape, especially as it's such an L.A. tourist haven and I can imagine these eye-catching new sculptures, as well as the recently renovated Beverly Gardens Park Lily Pond, being extremely popular in the future for photo opportunities.

Compared to What sculpture by Brad Howe
Compared to What sculpture Brad Howe Beverly Hills
Brad Howe outdoor sculptures Beverly Hills
Compared to What sculpture Brad Howe Beverly Hills
These irreverent pop art sculptures are a lot of fun, and for me that's exactly what outdoor art should be - uplifting and engaging.

If you like these contemporary outdoor art pieces, you should check out more of Brad Howe's sculptures on display in West Hollywood in August 2012.
Beverly Hills City Hall outdoor lawn sculptures
I'm sure there'll be even more surprises in store to celebrate 100 years of Beverly Hills and if I see anything that catches my magpie eye on my travels, I'll be sure to share them.

Until then enjoy these modern sculptures, let me know your favourite and if you're visiting Beverly Hills this year, be sure to check them out in person (because there really is more to the place than expensive designer stores)...

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails