Saturday, March 7, 2015

Final 8 miles training for the L.A. Marathon and more importantly cake...

What better way to finish our last 8 mile training run before the 2015 L.A. Marathon next Sunday, than a big slice of yummy cake (in case you're wondering it's decorated with the names of all our pace groups).

Celebration cake for T2: Team to End AIDS marathon runners
LA Marathon training T2 Heroes cake
After the mixed weather of fog, rain and sunshine the past few weeks, today was reminder of how hot marathon day can be, even with an early 7am start.

I still have a touch of PTSD thinking about the heat of the race last year, which was the hottest L.A. Marathon in a decade. Fingers crossed it won't be so extreme this year.
LA Marathon running bib
People often ask why I run marathons, and one reason in particular is to raise much needed funds for charities such as AIDS Project L.A. and you can help by donating today.

The money goes straight to work helping clients in need living with HIV/AIDS and provides essential services, like food, counseling and health services.

Sometimes I look at my life and feel so lucky, so this is one way for me to give back and with the generosity of friends, family and blog visitors I've already raised over $1,200 this season and $21,300 cumulatively over the past few years.
LA Marathon running bib
Secondly a more selfish reason is that I run for myself. Not only for the fitness aspects, but also the companionship and new friends and interesting people I've made whilst running.

There's also a huge sense of accomplishment when you cross that Finish Line, so what started as something on my 'Bucket List' of things to do has turned into a bit of an obsession.

After the L.A. Marathon this year I'll run my first ever London Marathon at the end of April and then I just found out this week that I got into the New York Marathon again by the lottery, so it's a chance to redeem my poor performance in November.
LA Marathon running bib
And finally, as I'll never make it to the Olympics, there's something about receiving a medal after a race to be a reminder of what you've achieved. And as they change every race, there's incentive to keep on running to collect them all.

Now it's time to take it easy for the rest of the week, and at least I didn't twist my ankle the week before the marathon like last year.

Here's hoping the weather is kind next Sunday and I achieve my goal of a sub-4 hour marathon...

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails