Thursday, March 12, 2015

Ready to add another L.A. Marathon medal, whatever the weather...

This Sunday I'll don my running shoes and run my fifth L.A. Marathon, once again in records temperatures, and after last year's 'Hellfire Marathon', I'm more than a little apprehensive. Here's my collection of finisher medals from the last four years, all hard-earned in conditions from monsoon rain to scorching heat, and even one with a twisted ankle.

My L.A. Marathon Finisher medals 2011-2014
LA Marathon medals 2011-2014
This will be my tenth marathon overall, I've also conquered the San Francisco Marathon, Honolulu Marathon, two Vancouver Marathons in Canada and the New York City Marathon, but it's always exciting to run your 'home town' race every year.

My other marathon finisher medals
Marathon medals
Back in 2012 I also received an extra medal for consecutively completing the L.A. and San Francisco Marathons, in case you're wondering what the LA/SF Challenge medal was for.
San Francisco Honolulu Marathon medals
Vancouver New York City Marathon finisher medals
Every race has its obstacles, whether it be injuries, weather conditions, or you're just having a bad day, but I'm hoping that this Sunday I'll survive the heat and break that four hour time again, although when that scorching sun is beating down on your body for 26.2 miles anything can happen and there's no predicting how you'll feel on race day.
LA Marathon finisher medals
My goal at the moment is just to finish and add another of these gleaming beauties to my collection, especially as it's the 30th L.A. Marathon this year. Because of the heat they've even moved the start time up by 30 minutes, plus they learned lessons from last year, so at least the organisers are trying their best to cope with the adverse conditions.

Keep your fingers crossed for me and if you see bib no. B2087 give a shout out for me and my T2: Team to End AIDS teammates along the Stadium to Sea course.

Weather gods please be kind...

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails