Sunday, April 23, 2017

Rock 'n' Roll Billboards of the Sunset Strip outdoor exhibition...

Once upon a time (from the late 60s) one-of-a-kind hand-painted billboards of the world's greatest rock stars and musicians graced the infamous Sunset Strip, and photographer Robert Landau had the insight to record these amazing outdoor ads for posterity.

Rock n Roll Billboards of Sunset Strip outdoor exhibition
To celebrate the 50th anniversary of the counterculture era of West Hollywood's Sunset Strip images from his 'Rock 'n' Roll billboards of the Sunset Strip' can be seen on display in an outdoor exhibition in one of the parking lots along the infamous stretch of Sunset Boulevard.
Rock n Roll Billboards of the Sunset Strip exhibition
Regular visitors to my blog will know that ever since I arrived on these West Coast shores I've been slightly obsessed by all the eye-catching billboards, I even launched a dedicated Daily Billboard Blog seven years ago.
Rock n Roll Billboards of the Sunset Strip Tommy billboard
They may not be hand-painted anymore and movie and TV offerings tend to dominate the skyline, but they are certainly creative and are always turning my head as I pass by.
Rock n Roll Billboards Sunset Strip Beatles Abbey Road
I bought Robert Landau's book when I heard about it, and I wish I'd been witness to some of these classic eye-popping examples from back in the day, and I would love the opportunity to do the same in the future with all the amazing billboards I've captured over the years since 2008.
Rock n Roll Billboards Sunset Strip public exhibition
If you're visiting the area or just passing by, or even parking your car in the lot, make sure you take a few minutes to check out some of the fantastic rockstar billboards that once filled the busy commuter route.
Rock n Roll Billboards Sunset Strip WEHO exhibition
To see more of these larger-than-life billboards in more detail you can also buy the book: Rock 'n' Roll Billboards of the Sunset Strip

This was a such a clever way to brighten up another area of West Hollywood with some cool visuals and some historical nostalgia...

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails